Solid Waste Regulations
Chapter 223, Article III, Section 223-25C of the Code of the Borough of New Hope establishes regulations for the accumulation, storage, collection, and disposal of solid waste. Section 223-25C of the Code states that refuse containers shall be placed just inside the curb or street line, not less than 5 feet from a side property line, for collection between the hours of 4 p.m. on the day prior to collection and 7 p.m. on the day of collection. No container may be placed in such a manner as to block a sidewalk or pedestrian walkway or to hinder the safe passage of motor vehicles.
Individuals, who place trash at the curb on days or at times prohibited by ordinance or who otherwise violate the provisions of Chapter 223, may be subject to a maximum fine of $1,000 per violation.
Other important requirements of Chapter 223 are summarized in the following information.
Container Regulations for Residential & Non-Residential Properties
- Every person shall provide adequate and sufficient containers for receiving and holding municipal waste.
- Municipal waste containers, other than those used for the storage or collection of recyclables, shall be made of durable, watertight, rust resistant material having close fitting lids, doors or covers and handles to facilitate collections, or durable, watertight plastic bags. Only residential property owners may use durable plastic bags for storage and collection of municipal waste. Non-residential uses and properties must use durable, watertight, rust resistant containers for storage and collection of municipal waste.
- Municipal waste containers shall be of sufficient capacity to hold accumulated refuse until the time of collection.
- Municipal waste containers shall be maintained in good repair. The containers shall be free of all liquids and residual solids and shall be periodically cleaned.
- Municipal waste stored outside of buildings shall be stored in containers of suitable size, shape and material so as to prohibit the waste from being scattered by wind or rain and shall prohibit accessibility of such waste to rodents and other vermin.
- Municipal waste containers shall be adequately secured at all times to prevent waste from scattering from the storage or collection points.
- Municipal waste containers that are screened from public view shall be located no less than 10 feet from any public street, alley, or other public place. Municipal waste containers that are not screened from public view shall be located no less than 25 feet from any street, alley, or other public place.
Regulations for Dumpsters
- All dumpsters that are used for the storage and collection of municipal waste shall be located on private property, set back a minimum of 5 feet from any property line or public right-of-way, and screened from view by any adjoining property used for residential purposes or an adjoining public right-of-way.
- Screening may be accomplished by either a fence and/or appropriate landscaping to a height of at least one foot higher than the dumpster on the side or sides facing residential property or public rights-of-way. The fence and/or landscaping shall at all times be maintained in good repair.
- Municipal waste dumpsters shall be serviced as needed, but not less than once a week.
- Dumpsters shall be in good structural and visual condition. The top covers must be in place and in working condition.
- Dumpsters and containers with an individual capacity of 1.5 cubic yards (40 cubic feet) or more shall not be stored in buildings or placed within 5 feet of combustible walls, openings, or combustible roof eave lines, unless approved in writing by the Fire Marshal.
- The fencing and screening of dumpsters shall be completed by April 1, 2008. Persons who are unable to comply with the screening and fencing requirements may file a written request for an exception thereto with the Borough Manager.
No person owning and/or occupying a property shall permit any municipal waste to accumulate for a period of longer than seven days upon property in the Borough of New Hope, owned and/or occupied by said person.